The School Board has approved implementation of the new boundaries in the following manner:
- There will be no 12th grade at the 12th High School, during its first year of operation.
- Students in grade 12 will remain at their current (2015-16) high school for the 2016-17 school year.
- Rising 9th- and 10th-grade students in the affected areas will attend the newly assigned school in 2016-17.
- Rising 11th grade students may chose to attend their current school or the 12th HS.
The School Board has directed the Superintendent to enhance the specialty programs at Osbourn Park High School, in order to increase potential enrollment.
The Board has also directed the Superintendent to adopt a liberal transfer policy for any students from Trentdale East who wish to remain at Hylton High School, and that any student currently enrolled in a specialty program may remain at that school.
Alternative Boundary Plan is Now Available (October 20, 2014)
The Alternative Boundary Plan that was created to address the Department of Justice's concerns is now available to be viewed.
- Alternative Boundary Plan - (PDF)
- Student Enrollment Projections and Demographic Composition By Neighborhood/Community - (PDF)
- PowerPoint Presentation - (PDF)
The following are key differences between the Alternative Boundary Plan and the Administrative Recommendation v1.2:
- The neighborhoods north of Prince William Parkway (State Route 294), which are currently assigned to Benton Middle School, will remain assigned to Osbourn Park High School, rather than being reassigned to the 12th High School.
- These include the Bacon Race, Cannon Bluff, River Falls, Coventry Glen, and Reids Prospect areas
- The neighborhoods of Ridgefield Village, Prince William Town Center, and Queensdale, which are currently assigned to Osbourn Park High School are now proposed for reassignment to the 12th High School.
- The neighborhoods of Smalls Crossing, Victory Ridge, White Oak Estates, Websters Landing, and the eastern section of Trentdale, which are currently assigned to Hylton High School, are now proposed for reassignment to the 12th High School.
In response to a complaint, the DOJ has requested information from PWCS that pertains to the school attendance area planning process. More specifically, it has made inquiries about the 12th High School's proposed attendance area. PWCS continues to cooperate and comply with all requests made by the DOJ.
- Request for Information by DOJ - (PDF)
Administrative Recommendation - v1.2
The Administrative Recommendation - v1.2 is a revision of the Administrative Recommendation - v1.1. The modification in this boundary recommendation is prompted by the feedback provided to our staff by the public in the form of emails, telephone calls, conversations, and public comment offered at the two Community Meetings held on April 30 and May 1, 2014, as well as at the Public Hearing on May 21, 2014.
- Administrative Recommendation Map - v1.2 (PDF) - Student Enrollment Projections Included
- Administrative Recommendation Final Report - v1.2 (PDF) - coming soon
- Plan 2.1 (PDF) - requested by Victory Lakes Community
- Plan 2.1a (PDF) - amendment to Plan 2.1; requested by Victory Lakes Community
- Plan 3.1 (PDF) - requested by New Bristow Village Community
Additional Boundary Information
- School of Attendance versus School of Residence (PDF)
- Subdivisions and Planning Zones in the Great Oak Area (PDF)
- Subdivisions and Planning Zones in the Victory Lakes Area (PDF)
- Mid-County Residential Development Activity (PDF)
- Projected Housing Units by Housing Development (PDF)
Administrative Recommendation - v1.1
The Administrative Recommendation - v1.1 is a revision of the preliminary boundary plan. The revisions in this boundary recommendation are based on the feedback provided to our staff by the public in the form of emails, telephone calls, conversations, and feedback offered at the two Community Meetings held on April 30 and May 1, 2014.
- Administrative Recommendation Map - v1.1 (PDF) - Student Enrollment Projections Included
- Download Administrative Recommendation Report - v1.1 (PDF)
- Submitted to PWCS School Board for the May 7, 2014, School Board Meeting
- Descargar Recomendación Administrativa - v1.1
- یریا میں تبدیلیاں 12 ویں ہائی اسکول کے کھلنے کے نتیجے میں ہائی اسکول حاضری (PDF)
Administrative Recommendation - v1.0
- Administrative Recommendation Map (PDF) - Student Enrollment Projections Included
- Administrative Recommendation Reference Map - 1 (PDF) - Street Names Shown
In order to provide information to the public, a draft document of the report to the School Board was posted to the Web. This information will be presented at the community meetings to begin the process. The report will be adjusted to reflect input received from the public during the community meeting process and prior to its presentation to the School Board.
- Community Meeting - 1 of 2
- Date: Wednesday, April 30
- Time: 7 p.m.
- Location: Brentsville HS Auditorium
- Community Meeting - 2 of 2
- Date: Thursday, May 1
- Time: 7 p.m.
- Location: Hylton HS Auditorium
Updated 5/8/14: The Public Hearing for the 12th High School is scheduled to occur at the School Board meeting on May 21 at 7 p.m. in the Kelly Leadership Center. For more information about signing up to speak at the meeting click here.
The scheduled date on which the setting of the high school boundaries by the School Board will occur has been changed from May 21 to June 4. The School Board meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the Kelly Leadership Center. For more information about signing up to speak at the meeting click here.
The proposed attendance area for the 12th High School is scheduled to be presented to the School Board on May 7 at 7 p.m. in the Kelly Leadership Center. Community members may request to voice questions or concerns to the School Board during Citizens Comment Time by following instructions found here. A public hearing is scheduled to be held at the May 21 School Board meeting, which begins at 7 p.m. at the Kelly Leadership Center, prior to the School Board setting the high school attendance area boundaries that will be effective for the 2016-17 school year. Community members can find sign-up instructions for speaking at the public hearing here.
12th High School and Boundary Planning Process Information
The 12th High School in Prince William County Public Schools is scheduled to open in September 2016. It will be located at 13833 Dumfries Road. The Fine and Performing Arts Specialty Program, which is currently located at Woodbridge High School, will be moved to the 12th High School when it opens. With the new its opening, the attendance areas for some existing high schools will be adjusted, in order to utilize the additional capacity it will offer. The following bulleted information is intended for one to gain a better understanding of the high school boundary planning process and current/future enrollment trends in PWCS.